1. What is the Migrant Line?

It is a free telephone support line. It provides information, guidance and access to the programs and services of the Government of the Federal District, namely those provided by the SEDEREC.

It offers information on the location and services of Mexican consulates, state offices for migrant assistance and customs procedures and other organizations.

  1. How can I get access to the Migrant Line?

The Migrant line operates through two toll-free telephone lines:

  • 1 800 505 85 11 ― from the U.S. and Canada;
  • 01 800 009 11 11 ― from the territory of the Republic.
  1. Do I need to pay for the use of the service?

No, all the SEDEREC programs and services are offered for free.

  1. What are the working hours?

The Migrant Line service is available 24/7. In case you need some other service, please, make an appointment by phone.

  1. What if I am not originally from Mexico City?

You can also contact the Migrant Line, and we will provide you the information on the alternative solutions to the problem you face.

  1. Are the services provided for Chicago and Los Angeles residents only?

The services are offered to the residents of the United States and Canada. If you need personal attention, turn to our office in Chicago or Los Angeles.

  1. Is there a possibility that they will attend me in person?

If you need personal attention, turn to our office in Chicago or Los Angeles.

  1. What services do the Chicago and Los Angeles offices offer?

The list of available services comprises assistance in procedures and orientation.

In our offices you can receive certified copies of documents (including birth, marriage and death certificates), an apostille of Mexican documents, productive projects, as well as funeral services in the Federal District.

We can also help you to deal with the issues related to receiving passports and apostilles of US documents, obtaining dual citizenship for children born abroad and Mexican parents, repatriation of the sick and transportation of human remains.

  1. How can I receive a follow-up?

On request, we will provide you with assistance in any procedure and will make sure that you have successfully overcome all the difficulties and problems and that you are satisfied with the results. You can also turn to us in case you have any doubts about the procedure.

  1. What if I change the city?

In the case you move and reside outside of Los Angeles and Chicago, we can provide you with the information on the care services that are currently available in other cities of the United States.

  1. Are my data confidential?

All the information requested to provide guidance or carry out a procedure will be used for specified purposes only. We will obligatory inform you about this.

The data collected is protected, incorporated and processed based on the Mexican Law on the Protection of Personal Data and similar laws that are currently in force in the United States. To get more information on this issue, read our privacy policy.

  1. What is an apostille or apostilled document?

The apostille of a document is the legalization of this document in order to verify its authenticity in the international arena. Physically it consists of a sheet that is added (attached to the back or additional page) to a document, and a competent authority puts a stamp on it. As for the documents that can be legalized in such a way, they include birth, marriage and death certificates, as well as others.

  1. What is a certified copy?

It is a copy of a certificate registered in the Civil Registry (a birth, marriage or death certificate). It is printed on colored paper, with logos and print letters. It also has a seal, in original, of the Civil Registry and a hologram, which confirms its authenticity.

  1. Why is it important to have an identity document?

First of all, you can use it to prove your identity to official institutions. In addition, it allows you to get access to all sort of services and programs, including health, educational or employment ones.

  1. How can my child acquire dual citizenship?

A child born in the United States, a son or daughter of Mexican parents, who processes his birth certificate at the nearest Consulate of Mexico (known as obtaining dual citizenship) acquires the rights and obligations of a Mexican, without losing his or her American nationality.

  1. What are the benefits of dual citizenship for my child?

It prevents the separation of a family in case parents are deported and consequent legal and emotional problems. Also in case of a forced or voluntary return it helps to avoid obstacles to access basic services such as education and health.

  1. Can you help me to receive US citizenship?

No, in the Mexico City Initiative we do not have the right to carry out this procedure. But we can inform you about the progress of the immigration reform and about the steps one should take to obtain American citizenship.

  1. How do I access funeral services in Mexico City?

In case a migrant dies in the United States and his family does not have the financial resources to pay for a funeral at home, the SEDEREC provides the complex support and assistance, prior to conducting a socioeconomic study.

  1. What is distance alimony?

When a life partnership or marriage disintegrates, the partner taking care of children in common can appeal to a court to demand regular payments from his ex spouse or partner that are aimed at covering costs associated with bringing up, since every minor has the right to receive enough money from their parents to cover his expenses (food, clothes, accommodation, medical care, education), even if they do not live in Mexico.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for providing support to process applications for alimony and follow-ups.


  1. What is the Distance Medicine?

It is a free telephone consulting program that provides the following services:

  1. F) Medical:

Hours: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


– Guidance on diagnoses that have already been set in health units.

– Advice on health conditions that is aimed at preventing self-treatment.

  1. G) Psychological:

Hours: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Objective: Psychological support for you or those members of your family who need it.

  1. H) Nutritional:

Hours: from Monday to Friday; from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Objective: Information on meal plans for your health care.

  1. I) Veterinary:

Hours: from Monday to Friday; from 7 to 21 hours.

Objective: Prevention of diseases of your pets (mainly dogs and cats).

  1. J) Dental:

Hours: Saturdays; from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Objective: Prevention of dental diseases.

  1. How can I contact the Distance Medicine?

You can turn to the offices of the Mexico City Initiative in Chicago and Los Angeles, as well as call 1 866 261 9004 from the territory of the United States and 51320909 from Mexico.

  1. Do I need to pay anything for the use of this program?

The services are totally free. If you call 1 866 261 9004 from a public telephone or from your house, there is no charge. And if you use your cell phone to call, you will have to pay for the services of your operator only. Video consultation services are also free.

All the information collected is treated as strictly confidential and is used and kept in conformity with the Law on the Projection of Personal Data.

  1. What are the working hours?

The medical and psychological telephone services operate 24 hours a day, other service work according the specific schedules (see question 1). Video consultations are provided by previous appointment at the offices of the Mexico City Initiative.

  1. Is there a possibility that they attend me in person?

At the moment we do not offer face-to-face support, however, in the Mexico City Initiative we can inform you about the network of care facilities for migrants offered by the States of California and Illinois for your integral health.

  1. Can I receive a follow-up?

Yes, a follow-up is an indispensable part of treatment, to arrange it, turn to your telephone counselor. It is recommended to call a specialist once a week.

  1. Are the services provided for Chicago and Los Angeles residents only?

No, they are offered to all the residents of the United States, as well as those who live in the specified regions of Canada. But video consultations are offered at the Mexico City Initiative offices in Chicago and Los Angeles only.

  1. Are my data confidential?

Yes, since the data collected are protected, incorporated and processed in accordance with the Mexican Law on the Personal Data Protection and similar US laws. For more information check our privacy policy.

  1. How are video consultations conducted?

To use this opportunity, you should go to the office of the Mexico City Initiative in Chicago or Los Angeles (see schedules in question 1) and provide the information for registration. The data is treated as completely confidential.

  1. What medications can I take?

Each medication is recommended for treating particular symptoms and problems. To use medicines safely and to avoid the risks associated with self-medication, turn to us for advice. In the Mexico City Initiative we will provide you with the information on the list of over-the-counter medications and on the support networks for medical screening and treating.

  1. Can you request a prescription through the Migrant Line?

No, but we can suggest some over-the-counter medications that you can get from pharmacies or stores in the United States.



  1. What is an “A” type license?

It is an official document required for driving motorcycles, motor tricycles, motor scooters and automobiles classified as private transport (with no more than 12 seats) in the Federal District. It provides one with the right to drive vehicles, whose maximum authorized weight does not exceed 3.5 tons.

  1. What for do I need a Mexican license in the United States?

It is valid for driving in the United States as long as a driver adheres to the laws and regulations of the corresponding state. In some states, a license is valid for only 90 days after entering the country presenting a valid visa, a valid passport and valid car insurance.

  1. Can I renew or exchange my license from the United States?

Yes, turn to the office of the Mexico City Initiative in Chicago, Illinois, or Los Angeles, California.

  1. Can I request a new license?

At the moment in both Chicago and Los Angeles the only services available are renewing and exchanging.

  1. Do I have to pay for the service?

They are charged in accordance with the provisions of the Financial Code of the Federal District.

Article 229. For the services related to licenses and permits to drive vehicles, fees should be paid as following:

  1. For a type “A” license to drive private vehicles and motorcycles ― $652.00 
  1. Where can I make the payment?

You can do that in the Authorized Banking Institutions and Commercial Centers of the Federal District, through the Universal Treasury Format that contains a catch line provided on the Internet at: www.finanzas.df.gob.mx/formato_lc/conceptos.php

  1. Is it safe to renew my license from the United States?

Yes, as long as it is done at any of the Mexico City Initiative offices in Chicago or Los Angeles.

  1. Where do I get my new license?

At the same facility, where it has been processed.

  1. What should I do if I lose my license?

Request a renewal if you have a valid expired license or a replacement in case of a permanent license.